From the last:
Healthy men handle chemicals safely (#1993)
Fertilizing the lawn, changing oil in the car, and stripping varnish sound pretty routine; in fact, these chores involve chemicals that can cause health problems if not handled carefully.
June is Men's Health Month, observed each year "to heighten the awareness of preventable health problems and encourage early detection and treatment of disease among men and boys," according to Men's Health Network.
The theme for this year is "Awareness, Prevention, Education and Family."
One health problem that can be prevented is exposure to toxins in the workplace and at home.
This unit is designed to treat volatile organic compounds, odors and other airborne pollutants. It features a special carbon blend and a HEPA filter for particles.
According to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, about 13 million workers in the United States are potentially exposed to chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin.
In general, men are more likely to work in occupations where chemical exposures happen.
At home, products containing toxic chemicals are most likely to be stored in the garage, workshop or shed, making them the most toxic areas around the home and increasing the chance of exposure.
The whole family, including pets, is at risk if chemicals are not used, handled, stored and disposed of properly.
The following common products can be dangerous if handled improperly:
Cleaning products, such as drain cleaners, pool chemicals, and wood and metal cleaners and polishes.
Automotive products, such as motor oil, antifreeze, batteries and fuel additives
Lawn and garden products, such as pesticides, insecticides and weed killer
Workshop supplies, such as glues, furniture strippers and paint removers
Follow these simple guidelines to keep yourself and your family safe:
Read the Label
Look for the active ingredient such as ORGANOPHOSPHATES; DIAZINON is an organophosphate.
Look for the percentage of active ingredients. Products with 10 percent or greater concentrations increase the chance of toxic exposure.
Look for procedures for proper use, handling, cleanup and disposal.
Prevention and Protection
Wear protective clothing such as breathing masks, eye protection, rubber gloves and rubber boots be aware that leather and cloth can absorb chemicals.
Avoid using near water areas drinking water, pools and standing water.
Keep away from pets and children.
Treatment for Exposure
If someone stops breathing, collapses or has a seizure, call 911.
Call your poison center at 1-800-222-1222. (You can call just to check. It doesn't have to be and emergency.)
If the chemical gets on the skin, wash well with soap and water at least two times and remove any clothing with the chemical on it.
If inhaled, get out of the exposed area and to an area with fresh air.
If the chemical gets into the eye, rinse with running water.
The American Association of Poison Control Centers supports the nation's 60 poison control centers in their efforts to prevent poisoning. Poison centers offer free and confidential services 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
If you believe you've been exposed to a poison or have questions about whether a substance is poisonous, call your local poison control center.
Source: Bellingham Herald
Author: American Association of Poison Control Centers